REMINDER- Municipality of the District of Lunenburg: The first day for waste collection on seasonal private roads will be Monday, May 18, 2020. The last day of collection on seasonal private roads will be Friday, October 16, 2020.
Consider these points when preparing your waste for collection:
- Collection occurs on seasonally-collected private roads from Victoria Day until the Friday following Thanksgiving.
- Scheduled collection is every two weeks. Waste cannot be placed curbside sooner then 5:00 pm the day before collection and no later then 7:00 am the day of collection.
- Learn how to sort your waste properly. Ensure recyclables are clean and food wastes are put in your green cart. Need a green cart? Call 1-855-530-3324. Read the Green Cart Guide.
- Clear bags are required for garbage collection. One non-transparent (black) garbage bag is permitted per household, per collection; this bag must be properly sorted.
If you missed a collection or will be leaving before the next collection, you may:
- Ask a neighbor to put your waste out on the appropriate day.
- Use the two bag freeprogram; Municipality of Lunenburg resdients can drop off two bags of garbage for free, at the Lunenburg Regional Community Recycling Centre. Recyclables, paper and cardboard are FREE.
- Consider putting a garbage box by the road to keep animals away from your waste. Call 1-855-530-3324 for information about where to place the box.
In winter, private roads receiving year round collection must plow snow and sand (if necessary) by 7:00 am on collection day. Turning areas must be cleared too. If your road cannot be maintained properly, bring your waste to the intersection your road and the nearest public road by 7:00 am on collection day. If residents wish to temporarily suspend collection due to concerns about road damage (ie. during wet spring conditions), call 1-855-530-3324.
Read the recycling guide, or call us at (902) 543-2991 if you have any questions about what goes where.
Island residents or those with long driveways can get a backyard composter instead of a green cart. Call 1-855-530-3324 to get one. Call (902) 543-2991 for a demonstration about how to set up it and maintain it.