REMINDER: The first day for waste collection on seasonal private roads will be Monday, May 22, 2017. The last day of collection on seasonal private roads will be Friday, October 13, 2017.
We acknowledge that residents living on a private roads have unique needs when it comes to managing waste. Please keep these points in mind when preparing your waste for collection:
- Collection occurs on seasonally-collected private roads from Victoria Day until the Friday following Thanksgiving.
- Scheduled collection is every two weeks. Waste cannot be placed curbside sooner then 5:00pm the day before collection and no later then 7:00am the day of collection.
- Become familiar with our recycling and composting program to ensure waste is separated properly. Animals are not usually attracted to black bags and blue bags that are sorted properly. Ensure recyclables are clean and that all food scraps are placed into a wheeled, aerated green cart. If you do not have a green cart, please contact the contracted waste collection hauler, GE's All Trucking, toll free at; 1-855-530-3324. To learn what goes into the green cart, please read our Recycling Guide. Clear bags are required for garbage collection in the Municipality of Lunenburg. One black, dark green or white garbage bag is permitted per household, per collection, this opaque bag must be properly sorted.
- Bulky items (furniture, BBQs, mattresses) are collected in spring and fall clean during scehduled times only. Click here to find your clean up dates. Clean up items cannot be placed at the roadside any sooner than 4 days before scheduled clean up.
If you have missed a collection or will be leaving before the next scheduled collection, here are some ideas you may wish to consider:
- Ask a neighbor to place the waste curbside on the appropriate day.
- The two bags freeprogram which allows residents of the Municipality of Lunenburg to dispose to two bags of garbage for free, at the Lunenburg Regional Community Recycling Centre. Recyclables, paper and cardboard are FREE.
- Consider building a garbage box by the road to store waste between collections and to prevent waste bags from being torn open by animals. Please call 1-855-530-3324 for more information about where to place the box roadside.
Private roads that receive year round waste collection, please note that road associations are responsible for snow removal and sanding along roadways and turning areas. This must be carried out by 7:00 am on waste collection days. Icy roads must be sanded and a minimum road width of 12 feet must be maintained to allow the collection truck to pass safely along the road. If your road cannot be maintained properly, residents are advised to bring their waste to the intersection of their private road and the nearest public road by 7:00 am on scheduled waste collection days.
Nova Scotia has one of the best waste diversion programs in the world, and Lunenburg County leads Nova Scotia in many aspects of recycling. We understand this may be different from where you normally live, so feel free to familiarize yourself with our website, download our recycling guide, or call us at (902) 543-2991 if you have any questions about what goes where.
Residents living on an island or with long driveways may consider backyard composting in lieu of a green cart. The Public Outreach Team is available to assist with the set up of a bin and to explain, step by step, how to maintain a backyard compost bin. Please phone (902) 543-2913 to make an appointment. Call 1-855-530-3324 to get a backyard composter.
Residents that live on private roads or have long driveways must separate their recyclables and organics. These wastes cannot be placed in a garbage bag!